If you aren't familiar with the Apocalypse/Dungeon World style of dice rolling, I'll sum it up for you:
Roll 2d6+An Attribute
7-9 Sucsess, But...
Basic Moves are available to all Classes, but some Classes may change how those moves work or have a 'Better' Version...
Shoot to Kill
When you take aim and shoot at an enemy at range, Roll+AIM.
On a 10+ you have a clear shot—deal your damage.
On a 7–9, choose one (whichever you choose you deal your damage):
- You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger of the AC’s choice
- You have to take what you can get: Downgrade Damage 1 Step
- You have to take several shots, reducing your ammo by one.
Close Quarters Combat
When you attack an enemy in melee, Roll+AIM
On a 10+ you deal your damage to the enemy and avoid their attack. At your option, you may choose to Upgrade Damage 1 step but expose yourself to the enemy’s attack.
On a 7–9, you deal your damage to the enemy and the enemy makes an attack against you.
Go into Overwatch
When you and any other members of your squad find a good position to wait for the enemy to make a move, the AC will choose an Alien to take an action. If the Alien’s action would bring them into the line of fire of the squad, each Squadmember may chose to react before the alien has completed its action. If a player choses to Shoot to Kill, they take a -1 Forward to that roll.
When you closely study an Alien, Situation or Civilian, Roll+WILL.
On a 10+ ask the GM 3 questions from the list below.
On a 7–9 ask 1. Take +1 forward when acting on the answers.
- What happened here recently?
- What is about to happen?
- What here is applicable to the mission?
- Who’s really in control here?
- What here is not what it appears to be?
When you you have leverage on a Civilian or group of Civilians and Want to convince them to do something, Roll+WILL.
Leverage is something they need or want.
On a 10+ they ask you for something and do it if you make them a promise first.
On a 7–9, they need some concrete assurance you can follow through with your promise, right now.
When your wounds are too great (And your Damage Threshold has been overcome), fall to the ground incapacitated. Roll with no attribute:
On a 10+ you’ve cheated death - you’re still in a bad spot but you will eventually recover fully.
On a 7–9 You have a choice to make…
- Gain a permenant injury and reduce your maximum Damage Threshold by 1 permenantly and, provided your team can safely extract you, you will live to fight another day
- Regain back 2 of your Damage Threshold and survive until the end of the mission, whereupon you die regardless of medical attention. You cannot cheat death again.
On a miss, your fate is sealed. Your wounds are too great to recover from and will be dead by the end of the mission.
When you find suitable cover and prepare to protect a Person, Location or Item Roll+DEF.
On a 10+, hold 3.
On a 7–9, hold 1.
So long as you are in cover, when you or the thing you defend is attacked you may spend hold, 1 for 1, to choose an option:
- Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself
- Downgrade Damage by 1 Step
- Open up the attacker to a Squadmate giving that Squadmate +1 forward against the attacker
When you take an action not covered by your training, describe how you intend to tackle it and Roll. If you do it...
- … By utilising your technical skills, +WILL
- … By hunkering down and enduring, +DEF
- … By using your raw athleticism, +AIM
On a 10+, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn’t come to bear.
On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the AC will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.